Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What to do with your red onions?


I'm a little pressed for time this week so I am going to keep it short and sweet, or should it be sour and sweet with this weeks post.
If you are looking for a great way to use your red onions this quick red onion pickle is very versatile and I use it all the time. It is courtesy of my mother-in-law and it looks something like this:

Step 1-Cut your onion in half (from the tip to the root) and slice each half as thin as you can.
Step 2- dissolve 1 cup of sugar into 1 cup of white vinegar in a saucepan (you don't need to bring it to a boil, just heat it till the sugar dissolves).
Step 3- Pour warm liquid over onions and let them get to know each other for at least 1-2 hours, but ideally 24 hours.
Step 4- strain off the liquid and discard. You will be left with some very bright pink pickled onions.

They go great with roast beef, and even better inside roast beef sandwiches, also great inside hamburgers, they make a great garnish/ accompaniment to grilled white fish and I will also throw some in my salads.

Give em a whirl and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment